This time of year pie is on the mind!
So, we recently made this delicious pie that has less sugar, no gluten and lots of healthy fats.
Healthy Coconut Cream Pie
Vegan and Paleo friendly pie!
Write a review
- 2 cans of coconut milk, full fat (refrigerated overnight)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut toasted
- Fruit if desired
- 1/2 cup pecans or almonds, chopped
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1 TBS raw honey (you could use something else, but honey helps hold it together)
- 1/4 Cup and 2 TBS coconut oil, melted
- 2 Cans of coconut milk (full fat)
- 2 Eggs (or egg replacement)
- 1/4 Cup and 2 TBS Arrowroot Powder (or corn starch)
- 1/2 Cup Raw Honey
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp coconut extract
- 3/4-1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Note: you can either melt the chocolate and make a layer in between the crust and cream filling or grate it and put it on top for a flare!
- 4.5 oz dark chocolate-over 70% (if you don't have a scale you want approximately 3/4 cup grated)
- 2 tablespoon and 2 teaspoon coconut milk
- 1tsp honey (optional)
Coconut Whipping Cream
- Put coconut milk into the refrigerator at least 8 hours before you want to serve your pie.
After your pie is made
- Take coconut milk that has been refrigerated overnight and flip it over. Open the can and scoop the solids out into a bowl. Put the liquid aside for smoothies or other use later.
- Note: Be careful not to mix solid and liquid.
- Whip the coconut- I get the best results with my kitchen aid.
- Scoop onto the cooled pie and sprinkle your toasted coconut, chocolate or fruit as desired.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F
- Oil a pie pan well or line it with parchment paper.
- Mix together the chopped pecans (or almonds), almond flour, coconut oil and honey together.
- Press the mixture into the pan and bake for 10 minutes. It will be starting to brown if it's done.
- Set this aside and let it cool.
- Combine the coconut milk, eggs, arrowroot powder, honey, and salt together in a pan.
- Make a custard by continuously stirring over medium heat.
- When the mixture is thick-take off of the heat and add in the coconut and extracts.
- Pour over the crust and let cool.
- If you want chocolate on top simply grate the chocolate and place it on top of the cooled pie.
For a layer in-between the crust and filling
- Melt chocolate slowly in a double boiler
- Mix in the honey (optional)
- Mix the chocolate and coconut milk.
- Spread the chocolate over the crust after it cools and then refrigerate.
- When the chocolate is hard, pour the filling over the top.
Seventh-day Adventist Diet http://www.seventhdayadventistdiet.com/