- Instant Pot or Pressure cooker
- Chopping Knife
- Cutting Board
- Potato Masher
- Large Stock Pot
For The Instant Pot, Slow Cooker, or Pressure Cooker
- 1 cup dry brown lentils (about 2.5 cups cooked)
- 1/4 cup dry red kidney beans
- 4 cups water
- 6 oz baby spinach chopped finely
- Cook the lentils, kidney beans + water in the instant pot (you can also do this in a slow cooker or on the stovetop, the cook time will just be longer). In the Instant Pot, cook on high pressure for 30 minutes, natural release.
- Mash some of the lentils + beans using a potato masher. Add in the baby spinach and let the dal simmer on “keep warm” setting while you make the spice mixture.
- To make the spice mixture (masala), heat a medium pot over medium heat.
- Add coconut oil, onions, garlic ginger paste (or minced garlic/ginger), and cook until the onions are translucent.
- Add the crushed tomatoes and cook through – about 5 minutes. Add the spices and salt. Cook about 3 minutes more.
- Add in the lentils/kidney beans/spinach mixture into the large pot. Stir to combine and simmer for 20 minutes, uncovered, on medium low heat. Add water if the dal is getting too thick.
- Add the coconut milk and let it simmer for another 10 minutes until combined.
- Do not use a milk substitute for the coconut milk unless it is full fat. This will affect the way the dish turns out.
- Feel free to swap the spinach for kale if you want to try a different leafy green in this recipe.
- Garnish with your favorite toppings such as fresh tomato slices or cilantro.
- Do not add the coconut milk until the last 10 minutes, or it will not turn out properly in the Instant Pot.
- You can make this ahead of time and serve it the next day – the flavors will just blend together even better as it sits overnight in the fridge!
- Serve with whole wheat naan, sprouted wheat tortillas, brown rice or quinoa.
- If you don’t have an Instant Pot, you can cook the lentils & beans in a slow cooker or even on the stovetop — the cook time will just vary as both will take longer than the Instant Pot!