Health Ads by
Roasted Eggplant and Zucchini Pasta
This chunky eggplant and zucchini pasta is quick to make in just 30 minutes and features hearty vegetables that are roasted to bring out maximum flavour. You can make this vegan pasta dish year-round but it’s best in the summer when these versatile vegetables are cheap and abundant. Inspired by thestingyvegan.com.
- 1 medium eggplant chopped
- 1 medium zucchini chopped
- 2 1/2 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 1 teaspoon salt divided
- Pepper to taste
- 1/2 medium onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 4 Roma or plum tomatoes cored and chopped
- 1 1/2 cups plain tomato sauce (350 ml)
- 14 oz dry pasta (400 grams)
- fresh herb for garnish your choice
- Preheat the oven to 400 F / 200 C.
- Place the chopped eggplant and zucchini on a baking pan and drizzle with 1 1/2 tablespoons of olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt and black pepper to taste. Toss with your hands to coat the veggies then place in the oven. (The oven doesn’t need to be fully preheated, just put the pan in and the veggies will start cooking). Roast for 20 – 30 minutes, tossing halfway through until tender and beginning to brown.
- Meanwhile prepare the sauce. Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil in a large pan over medium heat and add the onion. Fry until soft and transparent then add the garlic and fry for another 30 seconds until soft. Add the chopped tomatoes and fry until soft and beginning to break down – about 5 – 10 minutes. Add the tomato sauce, 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook the pasta in salted water according to the package directions.
- When the eggplant and zucchini are done roasting, add them to the pasta sauce.
- Drain the pasta and return it to the empty pot. Add half the sauce and veggies to the pasta and stir to coat the pasta in tomato sauce.
- Divide into serving bowls and top each with a couple spoonfuls of the remaining eggplant and zucchini sauce.
- Garnish with your favourite fresh herb.
For delicious roasted eggplant just toss with olive oil, salt and pepper and pop it in the oven.