Vegan Ramen with Miso Shiitake Broth- a delicious healthy ramen recipe with mushrooms, tofu, bok choy, sesame seeds and scallions in the most flavorful broth! Plus a simple tip to making this “creamy”! Inspired by feastingathome.com
Vegan ramen with miso shiitake broth
- 1 large onion-diced
- 2 smashed garlic cloves
- 1–2 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cups veggie stock
- 4 cups Water
- 1/2 cup dried Shiitake Mushrooms, broken into small pieces (see notes )
- 1 sheet Kombu seaweed available at Asian markets) –optional, but good!
- 1/8 cup mirin ( Japanese cooking wine)
- 1–2 tablespoons white miso paste
- pepper to taste
- for spicy, add sriracha to taste, or hot chili oil
- 6– 8 ounces Ramen Noodles
- 8 ounces Cubed Crispy Tofu
- Make the BROTH: Over medium high heat, saute the onion in 1 tablespoon oil until tender about 3 minutes. Turn heat to medium, add the samashed galric cloves and continue cook onions until they are deeply golden brown. Add the veggie stock, water, dried shiitakes, sheet of kombu ( rinsed) and mirin. Bring to a Simmer.
- Simmer for 25-30 minutes uncovered on med heat, then remove the Kombu. Add miso, and pepper to taste. Adjust salt to your liking (feel free to add salt, soy or more miso). Keep warm. FYI: If this reduces too much it may become salty…. simply add a little water to taste.
- Cook the ramen noodles.
- Prep other veggies and toppings.
- Fill bowls with cooked noodles, crispy tofu and any other veggies you want. Pour the flavorful Shiitake broth over top. Garnish with a little drizzle of sesame oil and sriracha. Top with scallions and sesame seeds.
- Serve immediately.
Make sure to break or chop the dried shitakes into small pieces. OPTIONAL: To make a Creamy broth: Blend the finished broth in a blender. The shiitake mushrroms will give the broth a rich creaminess.